St. Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274). Here is a 20-page biographic entry of his life and overview of his written works, from the Catholic Encyclopedia (1914) . The version here has been uniquely prepared for our Library as a pdf document, complete with many hyperlinks to the entire Encyclopedia, taking you on a voyage of spiritual discovery.
Searchable on-line version of Catena Aurea hyperlinked to the four Gospels chapter by chapter:
- Catena Aurea (Golden Chain) – Complete volumes.Web-link to 3rd party site
Hyperlinked database with links to all of St. Thomas Aquinas’ extant works in Latin/English and English:
Catena Aurea (Golden Chain) in 8 volumes:
St. Thomas Aquinas’s commentary on the Gospels, Catena Aurea (Golden Chain) is a monumentally important 13th century work, incorporating excerpts from approximately 80 Greek and Latin Church Fathers and other commentators. It contains fragments of some writings that are now otherwise lost.
Gospel commentaries of this kind were popular during the first millennium, and Aquinas would have drawn on earlier works to compile this masterpiece.
This public domain edition is an English translation published between 1842 and 1845. All 8 volumes are here to view or download as PDF files complete in 8 volumes.
Catena Aurea – Commentary on the Four Gospels Collected out of the Works of the Fathers by St. Thomas Aquinas:
Hyperlinks all go to Vol 1 only – in process of being repaired! – JER, April 2019.
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 1 – St. Matthew – Part – 2
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 1 – St. Matthew – Part – 3
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 2 – St. Mark
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 3 – St. Luke – Part 1
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 3 – St. Luke – Part 2
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 4 – St. John – Part 1
- Catena Aurea (Aquinas) Vol 4 – St. John – Part 2